Image

Image

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Our Puppy's Surgery

Hey everyone,

            I've had a few people now ask me how our dog's surgery went and I figured this would be a good way to let everyone know how it went.

            As most of you know by now, we got a dog November 17th last year. We went to an adoption shelter and found her laying in a tiny cage, she had a bunch of info on her and it said her previous owners left her there :( but she already had the name Bubblegum and we decided we really liked that name so we kept it! She is DEFINITELY a mommy's girl but I of course don't mind. ;) Bubblegum has been pretty healthy but then a few months ago she started getting a tiny bump on her head, I was a little worried but we thought it might just be a mole then it got a little bigger and a little bigger and finally we took her in, the doctor said it looks like a cyst and that we should get it removed. At the time Colt and I really didn't have the money so when we finally had a LITTLE saved up, it went right to her. We made the appointment and decided to go yesterday (May 30th)

            I know this next part will probably sound really dumb to a few people but I LOVE animals and so yesterday was probably close to one of the worst things I've had to deal with. We went in around 9 A.M. and at first she was kind of excited because there were other dogs in there, but then she heard some in the back room crying and started shaking a little, I held her the whole time while they had me fill out some awful papers saying things like if she went into arrest I gave them permission to do CPR, If she happened to not make it out of the surgery (aka die) then I wouldn't hold the vet responsible (even though I always would have) etc... I filled those out shaking and with a huge knot in my throat, then came the worst part, they said I couldn't come get her until about 3 or 5 that evening and then said "Okay Bubblegum" and held out there arms. I sat there for what seemed like hours clenching onto her not wanting them to take her and then had to pry her off my arm and walked out of there so fast and got to the side of my car, sat down and bawled.

             So of course when something bad happens, what's the first thing I do, call my wonderful husband who could barely understand me in between sobs as he told me everything would be okay and to keep him updated but then I didn't want to just go home and cry so of I went to my mom and dad's house. It amazes me how fast they can calm me down and cheer me up, they are so caring and don't laugh or say that it's dumb to worry about it, they have always been that way, supportive, loving, and compassionate for their kids. So my mom said she was going to the store with my sister and the kids if I wanted to come to which of course I said "um YES PLEASE!" lol I'm so glad I went, I like hanging out with my mom and sister and those kids could put a smile on my face with in two seconds of being with them, they filled the little patch of my heart that was aching so much.

           When we were done, my mom, Colt, and I went out to lunch together and talked for a while. Then my mom drove me all the way to Layton just to get a cupcake, I wasn't really in the mood for one since I was feeling sad but hey, I wasn't going to complain ;) Then my mom was nice enough to drive all the way back to Bountiful to get Bubblegum with me. I was so happy when they called and said she was doing good, the doctor said "She is definitely stubborn, she is already standing up a little and everything." When we finally got her, she had a cone on, her stitches were new so they were pretty bloody looking and it scared me a little but I was just so happy to see her. She was SO tired when we got home and slept most of the evening... then came last night. lol

           Colt and I slept at the foot of the bed to keep a close eye on her but by 1:30 am, I could tell it would be a long night, she kept scratching at the cone trying to get it off and whining so I got off the bed, took my pillow, and slept last night on the floor next to my shaking and sad puppy. Needless to say, it was a LONG night last night, I woke up about every hour from her crying and sat and held her remembering why Colt and I are happy to just be us two and Bubblegum for a while lol. I was officially up this morning around 7:30 am and started cleaning up the apartment. So how is she now is what I was getting at right? right.

         She was VERY happy to be able to eat again today, she even ate her pills pretty good (with out knowing of course) and now she won't leave my side but I'm happy she's okay! She has to keep her cone on for two weeks which should be interesting because we are going to have to watch her EVERY second! I got to say, she is for sure like my little "before babies" experience, I was so scared to see her go to surgery and I'm a liiiiittle protective of her. I had to bring the garbage can up today from the front yard and she sat patiently outside on the steps for me while I did and 3 stupid high school boys walked by and laughed at her, I put the garbage can back down turned around glaring at them and yelled "Is there something I can help you with?!" ... Now I'm the crazy dog lady in apartment 531.... yup...

         Anyway I just thought I'd update everyone so she is doing great! And again I'm so so grateful for wonderful parents who are always there for me and a sweet husband who cares so much about me that he does everything in his power to make me happy. I love him so much and still wonder after a year how I got so blessed to have him! Thanks for everyone who prayed for us during this and for those who still do, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment